My So-Called Life

Friday, February 03, 2006

Investments vs. Charity

Today Larry James posted about what might happen if people moved from a "charity" mindset to an "investments" mindset as far as their concern for the poor. (Read the piece for more info.)

I think this relates to the idea of corporate salvation (which I currently define as the idea that God saves us as one body--and therefore some smaller bodies as well--from a life doomed to meaningless consumption and promises us hope and companionship for the journey). I think becoming convinced of the need to invest in our brothers and sisters is much like becoming convinced that their well-being is the responsibility of all who are members of their community and those who aim to be followers of Christ.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

I don't like this idea. As nice as it is to think about "investments", doing so turns people into things, and I think that's bad.

Maybe the golden rule would work better. Maybe if people empathized with other people's suffering, they would be too involved in the other person to think of themselves as Benefactors.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home