My So-Called Life

Friday, October 19, 2007

Where have all the liberals gone?

“It was one of those tortured, blame-filled, wounded conversations I associate with old boyfriends, where they get to come across as very calm and centered, while I sound ten minutes away from being institutionalized.” ~Anne Lamott, Plan B

I’m thinking that I must not come off as liberal enough, because I just had yet another experience of being “courted” by a conservative. He was a very good guy, and astonishingly honest, but it was not going to happen. (Okay, so there were some other reasons it was not going to work, but I'm still chalking this one up to his conservativism.)

Don’t get me wrong--conservatives are fine, and swell people, I’m sure, but I don’t want to date one. My theology and my political beliefs are more liberal than conservative, and I want to end up with someone who feels the same way, who gets what I’m saying, y’know?

I’m going to start wearing Birkenstocks and quit shaving my legs. Maybe that will convey the fact that I’m out to attract a liberal feminist. Or a feminist liberal. I'm fine with either one.

5 Comments:

Blogger B said...

"I’m going to start wearing Birkenstocks and quit shaving my legs. Maybe that will convey the fact that I’m out to attract a liberal feminist. Or a feminist liberal. I'm fine with either one."

Good luck with that... but I don't think its going to work... both of us have always attracted the persistent ones that are going to pursue us, even when we give all the signs that we don't like them, or that they aren't our type!

6:29 AM  
Blogger scoots said...

Just out of curiosity, have you met any feminist guys in Texas, apart from your brother and maybe Chad?

12:39 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I'm feeling the "not so much in Texas" vibe too, scoots.

6:24 PM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

I can think of a few, but definitely not as many as I’d like.

But I wonder if that’s partially a result of the fact that I’ve stayed pretty close to the good ol’ Church of Christ. I think it might be possible that other denominations have higher percentages of feminists.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Whitney said...

If it makes you feel better, as a conservative, I am not too impressed with the men selection thus far either...so perhaps it isn't an issue of political beliefs so much as the fact that our coolness is far too much for most people to handle...or live up to. I know the list is long, but there has to be some guys out there that at least meet the baseline criteria.

I think the birkenstocks and not shaving your legs might not exactly send out the right vibes for attracting liberal men, so much as liberal women. : )

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home