My So-Called Life

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Etc., etc., etc.

In other news, I have been volunteering at an elementary school two days a week, which has been quite an experience already.

I spend a good deal of my day in a first grade classroom, where I work with some of the kids who are farther behind and just generally assist the teacher, Mrs. Buljko.

She has a pretty interesting story; she moved here from Bosnia eight years ago and didn’t speak a word of English. She wanted to teach school, though, because she had taught high school in Bosnia, and so she is working on her English and getting her teaching certificate. She still has some problems with spelling and verb tense, though, so I think it’s a good thing I picked her classroom to work in. She’s very sweet though, and hugged me when I told her how often I would come and when I told her that I worked with the after school program for free and every time I leave her room.

I also help out with the after school program by handing out snacks, yelling at kids when they need it and helping them with their homework. Apparently it’s a good thing I have a college degree to do all of those things. On Wednesday as I helped a second grader with her homework, she asked how to spell the word “friend.” I told her, but for some reason, she didn’t believe me. It didn’t matter what I did, she just couldn’t believe that there wasn’t another r in there someplace. Finally when I said, “I have a college degree, I THINK I can spell the word friend,” she said, “Really?” and copied it right down. Thank you, four years of hard work and thousands upon thousands of dollars.

I’m also slowly getting to know the kids in my class and those in the after school program. Mrs. Buljko told me that she was talking with her class about habits the other day, and one of the boys said that his habit was visiting his dad in jail. I expect to have a lot of stories like that by the time I’m done here.

On a more positive note, though, we are getting to know some of the people in our apartment complex as well. Last week one of the families had us over for a barbecue (and it was gooood) and this week we had them over for dinner as well. They’re all really funny, and we always have a good time together, so I’m looking forward to getting to know them (and eating at their house) some more.

And on a completely random note, I now have what I call “white boy radar.” Seriously. After being here for a little over a month, I can spot a white guy within a 50 foot radius. Sad, isn’t it?

Well, I think I’ll close this entry without telling you about our bathroom drain which is hopelessly clogged or the dance parties we have about once a week or how much candy I eat a day. Maybe next time, kids. Until then, stay safe and love everybody you meet like crazy. Oh, and send me mail, lol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home