My So-Called Life

Monday, May 08, 2006

I don't know about preachers and sermons and bible class,

but this speaks to me. . .

"You don't want to die when you're this upset--you get a bad room in heaven with the other hysterics, the right-to-lifers, and the exercise compulsives. But thinking of heaven made me remember something: that I believe in God. And I smote my own forehead."

"Over the years, my body has not gotten firmer. Just the opposite, in fact. But when I feel fattest and flabbiest and most repulsive, I try to remember that gravity speaks; also, that no one needs that plastic-body perfection from women of age and substance. Also, that I do not live in my thighs or in my droopy butt. I live in joy and motion and cover-ups. I live in the nourishment of food and the sun and the warmth of the people who love me."

"I was desperate to fix him, fix the situation, make everything happy again, and then I remembered this basic religious principle that God isn't there to take away our suffering or our pain but to fill it with his or her presence, so I prayed for the health simply to enter into Sam's disappointment and keep him company."

"And then the music began.
"Mandolin music. A folksy bluegrass trio began playing, the mandolin offering the quavering meoldy, then two guitars joined in, and then three voices singing. We turned slowly to look at the musicians. A woman got up from her table and began to dance on the lawn between us and the stage, all by herself, and I thought to myself, I wish I were the kind of person who could dance in public, not caring what everyone thought. And I wanted to be this way so badly that after a minute I just got up, moved closer to the music, toward the one woman dancing, and slowly and very shyly and without enormous visible grace, began to move in time to the music. I figured that once I stepped forward into that spotlight, another would appear somewhere near my feet, and if it didn't, at least I'd have had the chance to dance.
"So I did, dancing with my eyes closed so as not to be distracted. Nietzsche said that he could only believe in a God who would dance, and I feel the same way: not Jesus as John Travolta, but Jesus as Judith Jamison, the great black dancer with Alvin Ailey, a shining, long-limbed, elegant crane."

~Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

14 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

you should comment on this post, because I think you might have something funny to say. =)

some acu dude

11:17 AM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

That was fun! We should gang up on people more often. Nice comment about marrying ugly girls. I LOVED IT!

8:05 PM  
Blogger FeedingYourMind said...

I just wanted to say I enjoyed readin' both y'all's comments. HA!

I REALLY love the "marrying ugly women with good personalities" part! LOVED IT! Let me know if that really does get going with guys, because I am just WAITING for the day...

...and still waiting...

...still...

;)

9:37 PM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

Whatever, Kim. I hope you weren't hinting that you're unattractive. I might be a little biased, but I think your problem is that you have an intelligent mind AND a great personality and that can be intimidating. (And I think liberal girls can be scary sometimes, as well. . .at least to conservative guys.) Anyway, I surely don't think your problem is looks!

6:21 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Yeah, I think Kim is cute and I've never even met her. I'm just basing that opinion on her posts.

And dude, you totally used the word "vagina" in your post. That was awesome. Although I hope it doesn't cause somebody to stumble down 20 flights of stairs!

6:23 AM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

Connor, you are cracking me up. I haven't read the post attacking your moral character yet, but I'll have to mosey on over there and see what all the fuss is about.

But you know what it means when someone attacks your moral character: you win. Especially because it has become obvious to them that they can't attack your argument in a logical manner. So extra points for you, and feel free to do the "I win" dance to your heart's content.

7:18 AM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

And wow, Connor, I just realized that I made a comment that pretty much said exactly what you had said earlier. So even more extra points for you. (Man, this must be your lucky day!)

7:21 AM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

While we're discussing modesty, let me tell you that I got the “awesome” job of updating our prostate cancer awareness flyers (My boss, who didn’t assign me the project, said, “Why do you always get the fun assignments?”) and I saw some pretty graphic pictures of male anatomy as I did that research. And I didn’t get all hot and bothered. If you’re bored at work today or avoiding studying, why don’t you take a look (I’ll just treat you to one):

Why Men don’t go to the doctor (Scroll down)

7:35 AM  
Blogger scoots said...

Crap! I read just Matt's first comment, and then went and made a serious post on the topic. That's me, never quite in on the big joke.

Oh well, maybe I can find some girl without a sense of humor who will marry me anyway.

8:57 AM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

Scoots, I think it's cool. I really appreciated your comments about how sex/love/attraction are parts of our lives that we don't know what to do with, and the whole thing often seems like a club we never get invited to join. I totally know what that feels like.

I also liked that you pointed out that to pursue a relationship without attraction to a person seems unethical, somehow, but that we need to examine why we are attracted to them and how our culture has shaped us to view attraction and the opposite sex.

I mean, I know some attractive women who started dating men who were not exactly their physical ideal(s), but who were really cool guys. The more time they spent with these guys, the more they realized that they were ideal in almost every other way, and most of them ended up married. So for them, attraction ended up working somewhat backwards, I guess. I doubt this works backwards for men too often, but I don't know this for sure.

9:44 AM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

Oh, and have you met my friend Kim? She has a great sense of humor. :-)

9:44 AM  
Blogger FeedingYourMind said...

You guys are ALL crackin' me up! HA!

I think my favorite part is how you have all these comments on this blog entry and none of them pertain to the entry itself...HA!

I need to write blogs like that...that get comments pertaining to NOTHING in the entry! ;)

11:26 AM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

I know! I NEVER get this many comments about posts I write!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

So...was everyone being serious, sort of serious, or totally kidding about their comments on my blog entry? I'm just curious.

A.lo - I do genuinely appreciate your post below about "safe" places to shop. That is a justice issue that I hope more and more Christians will begin to get serious about.

Hope I didn't "step on anyone's toes" or "attack anyone's moral character" over at my blog. That was never my intention.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home