My So-Called Life

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A Story

I found this as I was wading through some old company newsletters:

During the Christmas season, I am reminded of Ronald J. Seder [it's actually by Ronald J. Sider, which illustrates why my strengths as a proofreader make me valuable to the company], who begins his book, Doing Evangelism Jesus’ Way with this story:

Someone has imagined an astonishing conversation between Jesus and the archangel Gabriel when Jesus returned to heaven. “Well, how did it go?” Gabriel asked Jesus. “Did you complete your plan? Did you save the world?”

Jesus said, “Well, yes…and no. I modeled a Godly life for 30 years. I preached to a few thousand Jews in a little corner of the Roman Empire. I died for the sins of the world. I promised that those who believe in me will live forever. Then I burst from the tomb to convince 120 frightened followers that my life and my story were God’s way to save the world. And then I gave those 120 the Holy Spirit, and I left them to finish the task.”

“You mean your whole plan to save the world depends on that raging bunch of 120 ex-fishermen, prostitutes and tax collectors?” asked Gabriel in astonishment. “That’s right,” Jesus replied. “But what if they fail?” Gabriel insisted. “What is your backup plan?”

Slowly, Jesus said, “There is no backup plan.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home