My So-Called Life

Monday, July 17, 2006

Fine, douchebag, here it is

Yesterday I got a text message from a dear friend that said, and I quote, “Update your blog, crapbag. I am bored of the old one.”

I have been thinking over lots of things lately: community, generosity, joy & wonder, spiritual gifts, relationships, etc.

And I’ve pretty much just ended up with questions and no answers.

I have, though, become convicted of the fact that I need to be living in community, not just worshipping in it or going to lunch with it, but eating, sleeping, showering, praying, thinking and talking in it. (Wait, that sounds a little shady. I’d sleep and shower by myself, but would know that someone else was going to need hot water, too, or able to get up later than me or whatever.)

Sure, living in community is somewhat annoying, but only because it reminds me that everything is not about me—that life is not the Me Show. And I find that highly irritating, but it’s a reminder that I need.

I just finished Blue Like Jazz (which I thoroughly enjoyed, even though it was not quite up to par with Traveling Mercies), and the author says that “Jesus does not want us floating through space or sitting in front of our televisions. Jesus wants us interacting, eating together, laughing together, praying together. Loneliness is something that came with the fall.”

He also says some other things about living in community and how important it has been in his life, and those comments helped me to realize that the Me Show is too much a part of my life, and I need to freakin’ get over myself. And into some real community.

I have sort of a community in the singles group at church, but I think we’re still in the Fake stage of community. (For those of you who haven’t done Mission Year, the four stages of community, as sold to us, are Fake, Fight, Fart, Family.) We might be moving into Fight, but I’m not sure.

Building community takes time and effort and more time, and I know that. But one of the biggest problems with this community is that I’m not sure that they understand me. And that could make community-building really difficult. I mean, I like them and we have fun together, but I’m sad that they don’t understand the things I do about Jesus and poverty and social justice. I’m tired of coming home from church with a proverbial bloody tongue.

Last week we went to lunch together after church (what I consider Communion), and we all sat around and had an hour-and-a-half conversation about dating and expectations and stuff. And it was good. And it was interesting. And there were some things in there that I didn’t completely agree with, but that’s normal, after all. Probably as a result of my Femi-Nazi ways. But when I tried to tell them about how I’m going to rescind the name “Christian” and start using something else to describe myself, they all looked at me as if I had just told them I had a communicable disease. Or three nipples. Or that my three-nipple syndrome was catching.

So I explained to them that the word Christian had been used to describe so many bad people who had done so many bad things throughout history. Remember the crusades? What about George Bush? Or the fact that Focus on the Family has nothing better to do than castigate Spongebob Squarepants for “being gay”? Or those people who protest at the funerals of gay men and women? I mean, who wants to be associated with that? Not me.

This was an idea presented to us in Mission Year, but it is really starting to make sense to me now. I mean, I got it then, but I’m really considering at this point. And yet even after I explained it to my friends, they continued looking at me like I had just suggested that they join the Democratic party.

I get that I have been labeled the Flaming Liberal of the group. And for good reason. But I am getting very lonely having to uphold the title all by myself. Right now, all I really want is someone to understand what I’m saying. To listen and consider. . .and maybe even agree every once in a while.

And while I have at least one other Flaming Liberal friend in the area (I don’t want to blow her cover, but she knows who she is), it’s just not the same. Shouldn’t these people who are working to build community so we can grow together at least register some sort of recognition when I put forth an idea that makes complete and total sense to me, especially when it deals with “Christianity” or spirituality?

And shouldn’t they help me use the gifts I’ve been given? I have been vocal, too, about the fact that I have some teaching gifts, but unfortunately, those are not seen as gifts that are appropriate for women to use, at least not by many at our church, including many in my group of friends.

And yet I can’t blame them for believing what they do, can I? The fact remains that I got involved in their group at their church because they were welcoming and loving and compassionate. And they were the first group that was genuinely interested in me. And that meant something. It still does. I needed them then, and I need them now. I just need someone to understand me, too.

(I need to bear in mind, as well, that I can’t expect them to read my mind, especially not at this point. If I have some reasonable expectations, then I am responsible for communicating those if I expect them to get met.)

And I think about my Mission Year roommates, and how I pushed them as far away as possible after the year ended because of some hurts I endured, whether they were real or imagined. And I was tired. But now I wonder if I should’ve tried harder, tired or not, because now I need someone to understand what I mean about Christian being a dirty word. And how I’m struggling to live my faith in an authentic way that lands somewhere between MY and my former life.

Don Miller, the author of Blue Like Jazz, also says the following, and when I read it, it was like a light bulb went on in my head: “In the churches I used to go to, I felt like I didn’t fit in. I always felt like the adopted kid, as if there was ‘room at the table for me.’ Do you know what I mean? I was accepted but not understood. There was room at the table for me, but I wasn’t in the family.”

I don’t figure that one community will meet all my needs or even my expectations, but then that means that I need to find one that will meet my other needs that aren’t getting met at this point. So any liberal Jesus-followers in my neck of the woods wanna form community with me? It’ll be an interesting ride, to say the least--right now I'm dragging my church friends on a journey to (re)discover joy and wonder. But that's another post.

11 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

I have mixed feelings about your small-minded singles group. On the one hand, it's hard to blame them for being self-satisfied twits, because both their church culture and secular culture have encouraged them to be that way.

On the other hand, I don't see how a person can remain a self-satisfied twit if she just spends five minutes reading the newspapers, or thinking philosophically, or reading a decent book, or helping poor people, or anything. I don't see how a group of Christians can remain that way if they take seriously the message of Christ.

Maybe I should come to church with you some Sunday. Then *I* can offer a few opinions during Bible class, and you'll look as conservative as James Freakin' Dobson.

Unless you don't want to look like James Dobson? No, me neither.

5:59 AM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

Oh, c’mon. They’re not small-minded, just. . .vision-restricted. I mean, it took me a lot of time and a year of nasty inner-city work and a paradigm shift to really get most of this stuff. And I have to admit that I really don’t live it very well, even now.

But I don’t feel like I can come onto their turf and demand that they change. . .at least not completely. I mean, I think church and community should be places where you change for the better, and too often they’re not, but who am I to invade their space and tell them they’re wrong? If I don’t like it, then why don’t I go somewhere else? Besides, they’re not likely to listen, anyway, until we’ve built some sort of foundation of trust.

Some of them, I admit, probably hold some ideas not because they have studied and considered them (like women’s roles in worship) but because that’s what they’ve been told. But I admit that I could see how someone could get those misogynistic patriarchal views from a surface reading of the text. When I really think about it, some people I love very much hold on dearly to those misogynistic and patriarchal views. And I love them anyway. And it’s not very useful to go around spewing my Liberalness everywhere if it’s just going to cause trouble, if it won’t foster meaningful change, if it’s not part of an honest discussion.

And I love my friends who don’t get this stuff, who look at me blankly when I give them the same sermon about changing from “Christian” to something else. I’m a little disappointed, but I don’t expect THEM to change. Why not? Because they support me in other ways? Because they meet other needs? Because I have friends who do get it?

I chose this group because they were friendly, because they accepted me, and maybe even most importantly, because there was work to be done. Lots of work. The singles group is dwindling, and the church as a whole has made a commitment not to move to the suburbs, and they have lost members because of it (which is probably somewhat but not directly related to the ever-shrinking number of singles).

I guess the real question is: what can I expect from a community that I choose? I mean, I’ve never really chosen one before. Is it worth it to stay and do the work here, to be the Lone Liberal and learn to love and get along with these people who don’t believe exactly what I do, or who live it out in different ways? Or is it healthier to go somewhere with people like me, if that even exists?

And no, I’d prefer not to look like James Dobson. I’d love it if you could make me look like Julianne Moore, but I don’t know what her views are on all this stuff. . .maybe that’s why I like her.

8:28 AM  
Blogger FeedingYourMind said...

Are you really a "Flaming Liberal?"

9:27 PM  
Blogger scoots said...

While I share a lot of these frustrations (although it's somewhat better in Princeton), I think that very few of us are willing to reconsider the things we believe at our very core.

For people who grow up in conservative churches, a lot of the time that includes most everything they've been taught about what the Bible says and means.

When it comes down to what a person really cares about, we're pretty much all closed-minded. For example, how many progressives would genuinely consider believing that God may actually want women not to teach in the church?

Someone might respond, "I would never consider that, not because I'm closed-minded, but because it's patently wrong." But that's the thing about the beliefs we hold at our core; anything that contradicts them appears patently wrong. That doesn't mean every view has equal claim to the truth; it just means that people have trouble seeing things from a genuniely different perspective. Our views can be changed, but it typically has to happen either slowly or violently.

Our resistance to change probably is a good thing, because otherwise we'd spend our whole lives chasing fads. (Oh wait, that's what a lot of Christians already do –– how many copies of Purpose-Driven Life have been sold?)

In any event, for a lot of Church of Christers, to suggest alternative interpretations or emphases for Scripture is almost like saying the earth is flat. Of course there are no contradictions or mistakes –– it's the word of God, for crying out loud. Those are just questions that Satan plants in your head, or a stubborn refusal to accept what God has told us. I have a friend whose home group prayed –– while he was there –– for God to "take away" what he considered legitimate questions about Scripture.

But, as I'm sure I've commented here before, I'm still a big fan of staying. If I went to a church where everyone was just like me, I might never have to have a critical thought again. I'd just memorize all the critical thoughts my community had had in the past, and assume I was still superior to the automatons who believed what I used to believe. I suppose that could work if I were already right about everything at the outset, but that would be sort of a presumptuous claim to make.

The irony, at the end of the day, is that then neither church gets challenged to grow –– the one I leave because I'm not there to disagree, and the one I go to because I just picked them based on the agreements we already share.

Within the community that you already know, you have the ability to empathize and gain a hearing which it would take a long time to achieve as an outsider in another church context. I really hope folks like a.lo (and Matthew and myself and others) who disagree can stick around, because I think the Church of Christ needs the growth that will come from the conversations we'll spur.

Not sure I have any good answers on how to cope with the isolation in the meantime. But I suspect blogging's a good start.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

a.lo said
And no, I’d prefer not to look like James Dobson. I’d love it if you could make me look like Julianne Moore...

Two words:

So. Hot.

7:29 AM  
Blogger KentF said...

Hi Abby - my wife Susan loves your blog and told me to tell you she tried to post a comment but she couldn't register - sigh. Of course, she just got an e-mail account "thingy" a year ago.

Most Christians look at church or church life as a place to go and be fed, in relatively small doses of feel-good religion - nothing too personal thank you. I don't mean to label, but that's really the truth.

I guess we're supposed to be patient, but it is hard, quite hard at times.

And, would someone please tell Jim Dobson his comb-over is beyond silly at this point.

8:58 AM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

Are you really a "Flaming Liberal?"

I think that's a relative term. When I'm with my church friends, however, I am a Flaming Liberal by comparison.

Two words:

So. Hot.


Yes, which is why I want to look like her.

And, would someone please tell Jim Dobson his comb-over is beyond silly at this point.

I'll be sure to do that, but I have to admit that there are some other things I want to tell him first. I also have to admit that I'm glad you're here, kentf. Tell Susan that I'm glad she's here, too.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

A clarification: while I do tend to conflate "conservative" and "small-minded", they aren't the same thing. As Scoots points out, there are small-minded liberals, and I would use Scoots as an example of a large-minded conservative.

By "large-minded" I don't mean that he's smart, or that he has a big head, but that he's willing to accept the possibility that his opinions and his worldview might be deficient in some way, and he's willing to seek out people who might suggest alternatives.

So this is my beef with your church people. So far as I know, none of them have asked, "Really? Why do you think that?", and been sincerely interested in what you have to say. Otherwise, you wouldn't be biting your tongue in class. In a conservative culture, a large-minded person would treat a liberal as a treasure trove of alternative perspective, not a loony to be dismissed out of hand.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Scoots said...
I really hope folks like a.lo (and Matthew and myself and others) who disagree can stick around, because I think the Church of Christ needs the growth that will come from the conversations we'll spur.

Maybe the church does need to grow, but if I'm going to help out, it's going to have to throw me a bone, because I'm getting really tired of church crap. I don't require a church that parrots my opinions back to me, but I do want a church that is sincerely interested in at least *some* of the things that I think Jesus would be interested in. Perfection is not required, but I do want a church, and all I find are social clubs run by small-minded, conservative white males.

Of course, I live in Texas, so maybe I'm at a geographical disadvantage.

7:40 PM  
Blogger emily said...

Hi A. Lo...

"And I think about my Mission Year roommates, and how I pushed them as far away as possible after the year ended..."

You might have pushed us away, but I'm still here.

"I need someone to understand what I mean about Christian being a dirty word. And how I’m struggling to live my faith in an authentic way that lands somewhere between MY and my former life."

Yep. Me too. Too bad we live in different states. I miss having someone that I could walk home with after church and talk about all the things that I disagreed with in the service... And I don't know what life between MY and pre-MY looks like either. I'm still trying to figure that one out as well...

2:36 PM  
Blogger Casey. said...

Hello Abby. Nice to find you here. Your brother found me, and thus I found you.

I have been through what it sounds like you're going through. People such as yourself who have worked with the poor and the most marginalized people of our society are forced to look at things that many Americans, and sadly many Christians, would rather turn a blind eye to.

There have been many points in my life where the work I've been doing, and the terrible things I have seen go on unabated, have made me so angry at the inaction of the churches I was a part of that I have comtemplated leaving the CofC all together. But I feel like there is a movement among us. The church I go to here in Brooklyn is filled with people who went to ACU and David Lipscomb and Harding, who are actively seeking ways to help the community around them and to work against so many forms of social injustice. And granted we have all expatriated ourselves to the Northeast, but people move back all the time. I can hook you up with my underground network of CofC Flaming Liberals.

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home