My So-Called Life

Monday, November 22, 2004

Community

It occurs to me suddenly how unnatural this community is in which I find myself. Surely it is impossible to build true community without first establishing a basis of love for each other. Instead, we are thrown together by a program which knows we probably have little else in common than our love for and belief in the saving power of Jesus Christ, and we are expected us to build an instantly loving community. Impossible? No. Improbable? Yes.

It seems to me that we will not fail in achieving affection for one another (for it comes with proximity and not necessarily intimacy) but real, true love will be harder to come by.

I seriously doubt this is how the church in Acts built community. And I doubt they went around referring to it as such all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home