My So-Called Life

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I'm glad I got up this morning.

"If regular people spotted your hidden, angry inside self, they'd draw back when they saw you coming. They would see you for what you are--human, flawed, more nuts than had been hoped--and they would probably not want to hire or date you. Of course, most people have such bit parts in your life that they're not around to see the whole erratic panoply that is you." ~Anne Lamott, Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith

Today was interesting. Highlights (in no particular order):
1) Got a fruit basket from some Nuns.
2) Bought a yoga DVD.
3) Met the priest next door’s Chihuahua. His name is Peter. (The Chihuahua, not the priest.)
4) Got the first complaints about my newsletter-writing judgement. Held my ground.
5) Learned about the latest media crisis. Man, I never know what’s going to happen when I go into work in the morning! But I like that.
6) Grilled fresh pineapple and paired it with vanilla ice cream for dessert tonight.
7) Got random IM from guy I stole from best friend in high school. Had no idea that I can still go from Me to Cold Sarcastic Witch in 10 seconds or less. (Girls: this is not useful when guys you like are trying to get to know you, but VERY useful when ones you don’t are hitting on you. Problem is it rarely knows the difference, even if you think you do.) Also got random IM from first boyfriend ever, who is now married.
8) Found old tape with Stephen Speaks songs on it. Remember them?
9) Met the guy whose assigned parking space is next to mine. (Well, he said hi and I said hi back. I’m pretty sure he drug out getting the dry cleaning from his backseat so he could speak to me.) Just for the record, he is very, very handsome. The epitome of handsome. Too handsome to date. And he was dressed VERY well. And my hair was all frizzy from the rain and I have hives, apparently, which I’m sure he could see through my clothes with his Hot Man Eyes. I hope he’s gay.

What is it about today? I love these odd days.

7 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

Hot Man Eyes. I like that.

Makes me think of Hot Apple Pies. From Whataburger, of course.

12:13 PM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

Yeah, but I bet Hot Man Eyes don't taste as good as Hot Apple Pies.

(Which gives me a good idea. The next time we fry pies, we should mix some apples & cinnamon and bake 'em to fill the pies with instead of apricot.) Mmmmm. . .

2:34 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

well, I suppose that's worth a shot, but apricot fried pies are still at the top of my list.

8:06 PM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

What is it with you people and apricot? That's what both your mom and dad say, too. I think apricot's good, but it's not my favorite. I don't know what my favorite is, but I'm going to find it. Oh, yes, I'm going to find it. .

4:47 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

Thanks for the Lammot quote. You are a constant source of sermon material.

6:07 AM  
Blogger shane said...

Yeah, like the "don't be like her" part.

8:12 AM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

Shane-why wouldn't people want to be like Anne Lamott? ;-)

P.S.~Yaay, a new blog! It's about time!

Randy-I have her latest non-fiction now, so it should be coming to you through the family book club at some point.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home