My So-Called Life

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

A Self-Image Story

Dad told this story Sunday night, and although I don't know where he heard it, I thought it was good.

Once, a man in an African village went to the chief of his tribe and asked to marry the chief's daughter. No one could understand why, because this girl looked neither beautiful nor built for hard work (and, of course, that was the most important consideration in a bride).

The most surprising thing about this marriage proposal was, however, the price the man was willing to pay for the girl. He offered the chief 10 cows for her.

The chief was taken aback. He expected one or perhaps two cows for his daughter, but 10 was beyond his wildest dreams! Being no fool, however, he accepted.

The most extraordinary part of this story, though, is the description of what happened to the daughter. Even before the wedding she was slowly transformed into the most beautiful and healthy looking woman in the camp because she was a 10 cow woman. Knowing she was worth a great price made her so.

1 Comments:

Blogger A. Lo said...

Umm, I think I might find that offensive instead of romantic. I'd want to ask if he meant that I was neither attractive nor built for hard work. . .but maybe that's why I'm not married, lol.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home