My So-Called Life

Thursday, October 21, 2004

I am surprised every day

Interesting day at the clinic. This morning, Annabelle (who Ruth and I love) came in to get her feet done and brought her husband, Ron. They were so funny, joking and sticking their tongues out at each other and stuff. When Ruth told Ron she was almost 30 years old, he didn't believe her.

Then I asked him how old he thought I was, and he gave the answer I get most often: 17. When I told him that I am 22, his eyes got wide and his jaw dropped a little.

Right before lunch, some homeless guy I had never met before told me I was beautiful.

I went back into the office and was writing on a chart when his buddy asked how old I was.

"How old do you think I am?"

"Seventeen, if that," he said.

"I'm 22."

"Good," he said, "Then we can get married!"

"Uh, no," I said.

As we closed the clinic down a woman we have had some interaction with came and asked to speak to me privately. She is very sweet, but I'm pretty sure she is somehow mentally imbalanced. She's a lovable character, though, who is always asking the head nurse for something or the other.

We took her into the clinic and shut the door, and she asked if we had any cream for a yeast infection. We looked, but couldn't find any. Then she asked if we had any condoms. Ruth and I looked at each other and shook our heads no. She became distraught.

"Oh no," she cried, "What am I gonna DO?!"

I thought about it for a second and said, "Not have sex?"

She ignored my comment, but we finally got her out of the clinic and finished locking up. As we left, we found her standing in the hall asking all the guys in the rehab program if they had any condoms. (Just FYI, the program guys are required to be celibate.)

One of them said, "I could give you a disposable glove."

"Just because YOU'RE celibate doesn't mean everyone ELSE is," she yelled.

I honestly had never seen anything quite like it. It still makes me shake my head in disbelief, but I have to laugh a little, too. Not gonna make it through this year unless I keep laughin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home