My So-Called Life

Monday, November 22, 2004

Hey, Baby

I'm so tired of walking down the street and getting stared at/drooled over/hit on. I can't even go to the library in my huge T-shirt and baggy jeans without hearing at least one "Hooooola!" C'mon, dude. My hair's in pigtails, I'm not wearing makeup and I seriously look about 17.

That is one thing I miss about the 'burbs: the way men hit on women. If I went somewhere in my nice, safe suburbs, I could count on being checked out, given the once over and perhaps (on a good night) getting spoken to suggestively. And even then I would have been dressed up and at least fixed my hair.

Now I get honked at, yelled at and seriously stared at almost everywhere I go. My favorite, however, has to be that clicking noise guys make as my roommates and I walk by. It sounds like the way some people call their dogs to come. I wonder how many times that has worked for these guys; how many women drop everything they're doing and say, "How hot! Let's have sex RIGHT NOW!"

I'm pretty sure that most of this attention I get is just because I'm a white woman in a place where that is an anomaly. Unless these guys are just into huge T-shirts, baggy jeans, no makeup and pigtails.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home