My So-Called Life

Thursday, May 26, 2005

May Newsletter

“If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.”~Philippians 2:1-3


Hello again! Here it is, once more, the piece of paper you wait for all month. . .MY UPDATE!

I had a wonderful adventure a few weeks ago as I spent some time with four other women from Mission Year. We passed one of our Sabbaths on a beach, just sitting and talking about ourselves, our lives and our experiences here, and it was one of the most fulfilling experiences I have had since I got to Oakland.

As I reflected on this encounter, the aforementioned scripture from Philippians came to mind. It occurred to me that the five of us in our small group were all “like-minded,” which was one of the reasons we had such a marvelous time together and why we could talk as freely and comfortably as we did.

It also occurred to me that we did not spend our time together fleshing out how we feel about deep theological issues (or basic ones, for that matter), but instead spoke of our struggle to live this life we’ve been given in a Christlike way. I don’t know how those women feel about liturgy, intercessory prayer, sanctification, speaking in tongues, worship or even how one acquires salvation. But amazingly, those things did not matter. It mattered much more that we share many of the same struggles and love each other deeply enough to care what happens in each others’ lives. It could be defined, in a way, as community.

A few days following this wonderful experience I had one of a much different kind. I read the document called A Christian Affirmation 2005 (www.christianaffirmation.org), which had been signed by “24 teachers in Churches of Christ in North America” who want to clear up some things about where their denomination is headed.

This document dealt with issues such as worship, a cappella singing, baptism, “The First Century Church” and the Lord’s Supper and came to the conclusion that unity would come if we only completely agreed about them all. I disagree, as does Leroy Garrett, whose response is posted on Mike Cope’s blog (http://mikecope.blogspot.com/2005/05/by-now-many-of-you-have-read-christian.html).

(Here’s the part of my newsletter where I get excommunicated and the Church of Christ Mafia gets sent after me.)

Some issues are important to unity in the church, but I’m betting that most are not. It seems that too often, issues divide instead of unite us. No, I think we will find unity when we elevate love for each other over issues or getting everything right. Perhaps some Church of Christ wants to use instruments. So what? Can’t those who do not still fellowship with them, knowing that they are striving toward the same purpose by struggling to live the way Christ would have His people live in this world?

Unity doesn’t mean agreeing all the time. Neither does it mean blindly accepting everything that other people throw our way. We can have unity and disagree and debate and use the minds God gave us to interpret the Scriptures he provided us with, as well. Wasn’t it Jesus who said that “. . .all men will know you are my disciples, if you love one another”? (John 13:35) Not “if you all agree on a cappella music.” Nor “if you pattern yourselves after the First Century Church.” And if all men know we are His disciples, can’t we bet on Jesus recognizing us, too?

So perhaps instead of issues, let’s try love. Can’t we all just get along?


(I hope that those of you non-Church-of-Christers who receive my newsletter will nevertheless find something useful in what I had to say here. Surely we can all stand to focus on love instead of issues. And I hope no one thinks that my program here has brought all these thoughts on me; I have felt this way since long before I arrived in Oakland. This, is, however, is the first time that I’ve had an opportunity to tell it to such a wide audience!)


Things are still going just fine here. I continue to wash feet and work in the first grade. The love of the kids at school never ceases to amaze me; it seems almost unconditional, in a way, and for that I am thankful. I can only pray that I am doing as much for them as they are for me.

As far as fundraising is concerned, my team is currently at 83% of our combined goal. I know much of this comes from your generosity, so thank you!

When the Church of Christ Mafia comes to get me (and you KNOW they exist, you’ve seen them in action) tell them to find me at (my email address) or (my mailing address). And please feel free to find me there, too!

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

This is my favorite part:

Wasn’t it Jesus who said that “... all men will know you are my disciples, if you love one another”? ... And if all men know we are His disciples, can’t we bet on Jesus recognizing us, too?

Damon gave a good sermon this week about the story of the good Samaritan. He focused on the antagonism between the injured Jew and the hypothetical Samaritan, as well as between teacher of the law (who asks "who is my neighbor?") and the actual Samaritans. And to make a short sermon even shorter, he interpreted Jesus' message as being: love means loving people who are different than you.

That seems to relate to your post, because the difference between the Jews and Samaritans was both cultural and religous. (We worship on this mountain, but you Jews say we should worship in Jerusalem.)

This difference shows us how much stock Jesus placed in minor religious differences, and it also makes Jesus' relationship with the Samaritan woman even more of an example: Not only does he affirm her doctrine (The true worshippers will worship in spirit and in truth), he also lets this woman in on the secret of the holy spirit and makes her the leader of one of the first Christian communities.

Seems like a pretty bold example of how to treat people who are different from us.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home