My So-Called Life

Monday, May 30, 2005

Post-Op Update

Just wanted to give you a quick update on “fitting in” at that wedding this weekend: it went okay.

Let me give you an example. I spent quite a bit of time with the wife, fiancee and girlfriend of guys in the wedding (that's 3 DIFFERENT guys, just FYI), and they were very nice, kind women who did their best to take care of me and bring me into their little circle, but I think it was at least a little obvious that we won’t be best friends. For instance, I was riding with the three of them to the reception and we were discussing one bridesmaid who had missed the wedding because she was taking a med school test. Apparently, however, her very wealthy boyfriend flew her into town in his private jet, and she got her hair done on the plane en route (by a professional hairdresser, I’d assume.) The wife said, “Oh, if that was me, I’d feel like a movie star.” The fiancee said, “I’d feel like a princess.” I said, “I’d feel HORRIBLE! I mean, I’d be thinking, ‘There are starving children in the world and I’m flying in a PRIVATE PLANE?!’ ” And then. . .there was silence. Awkward silence. And I wondered why I had opened my big mouth at all. At least I was able to keep my views on George Bush and the war to myself.

But let me say again how much I appreciated the kindness of everyone I met; they all accepted me warmly into their group (and one even complimented me on my dress, but I do have to admit that I think I looked good). Um, yeah, so back to my appreciation. . .no one had to be kind to me or even talk to me, but everyone did. And I appreciated it. Even if they wouldn’t have felt horrible flying in a private jet.

(And the people who I knew would have felt horrible didn’t really seem to be glad that I’m home. I’m kinda feeling stuck between two communities, and neither one seems accessible at this moment. That sucks.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah P said...

There's only one Abby Lowe in this world and I wouldn't change you for anything. Stick to your guns girl! God gave em to you! (wait a minute...I think that was a war reference...nevermind.)
Anyway, you are awesome and I miss you.
My email address still works at ACU or you can use the same name @yahoo.com instead. Both will get to me.
Stick with it!
love ya!
Sarah Paulk

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home