My So-Called Life

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Who am I? (A survey)

So Sunday night as Josh, our Regional Director, brought us home from our “retreat,” he basically told me that I’m loud. I was kind of surprised, because I don’t see myself that way. I actually see myself as shy. Perhaps this is because I know that when I am faced with one-on-one interaction with someone I don’t know well, I am nervous. I’m afraid that we’ll run out of things to talk about and just have to sit around staring at each other awkwardly.

Ruth told me today that she thinks I’m loud. Meredith, one of my teammates, told me that she thinks of me “loud not as in boisterous but like you want to and will get your ideas heard.” Today Jared, a friend who works with us at the homeless shelter, told one of the guys in the rehab program that I have “the beautiful ability of pushing people outside their comfort zones.” One of the guys in the rehab program calls me “Giggles” because I laugh loudly and often.

So now I want to know what YOU think, faithful blog readers. Am I loud? How do you see me? (And yes, incredibly hot IS an acceptable answer.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(anonymous post from Matt)

I hate signing up for things, so I'm posting anonymously. And if you think this makes me some sort of paranoid wacko for this, fine.

But I'm not alone in this particular psychosis, because today I had to sign up with the Sun-Times to read a Dave Barry column. As is my practice, I filled in the blanks with a lot of bogus information, including my name (Joe Joe), my occupation (Joe), my physical address (Joe St.), and my email address (joe@joe.com).

"Oops", the Sun-Times server said, "we already have someone listed at joe@joe.com. And at joe@joejoe.com. Also at joe@joejoejoe.com." But in their mercy, they let me have joe@joejoejoejoe.com. Thank goodness. What could I have tried next?

Anyhow, regarding your actual post, I think that Josh was just trying to take your relationship to "the next level". In other words, he was trying to show you that he felt close enough to you to call you "loud". The kind thing to do in this situation is to respond in kind, showing your good friend Josh that you also feel very close to him. Something like the following would probably work.

---

JOSH: While some people might think that boldness is a positive trait in both men and women, I prefer to think that...

YOU: Have you ever considered the possibility that you might be a male chauvinist wuss?

JOSH: Um, no. But what I meant to say was, that you're a little too outspoken when it comes to...

YOU: Yeah, I think you're a pretty big jerk too. And you smell bad.

JOSH: Ah. [He thinks about it.] Well, maybe I'm a stinky male chauvinist wuss jerk.

YOU: I'm glad we're such good friends.

---

Ok. Now you are blessed with my perspective. I'm looking forward to seeing you soon!

(Matt, a.k.a. The Anonymous)

7:42 PM  
Blogger Tarkola'an Bey said...

So, A.LO, this is your friend Jared, just wanted to let you know two things, mine is .blogspot.com too, I was wrong when I wrote it for you, and I would say you aren't loud per se, but you are definitely outspoken when it comes to what matters to you. I don't know if those are the same things though.

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey A.Lo, this is your friend Anonymous. I wouldn’t necessarily say that you are loud. Perhaps annoying and obnoxious would be a bit more accurate. Love ya.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home