My So-Called Life

Sunday, January 30, 2005

I'm Okay, You're Okay

Yeah, yeah, yeah, so I haven’t written in a while. Perhaps it is because I have been very busy. . .or maybe not. Whatever, I’m writing now about a very familiar topic: salsa dancing.

Friday night, four of us went to the cafe where Noel volunteers and tried to learn how to salsa. It didn’t go all that well. I blame it on the fact that Lucas, our teacher, was a very good dancer but a horrible instructor. He just danced around and counted in Spanish and didn’t really teach us anything.

Dancing with Maria (the owner of the cafe) and another lady who was there was much more profitable. It was kind of like two-stepping, but I really just moved in rhythm to the music, and Maria thought it was great. She told me afterwards that I should teach my other roommates how to dance and loosen up. She also kept telling me that I “have the ritma” (rhythm). Emily kept calling me the star of the show. I don’t know about that, but Maria was very concerned that I might forget what I had learned, and she wants me to be sure I come back to dance soon. I’d rather dance with a boy, which is apparently impossible this year. According to the rules passed down to me, I can dance with sleazy men at cafes, but I’m not allowed to dance with a guy from my program. I have some choice words to say about that, but I probably shouldn’t post them here. (Oh, and I have since decided that whoever I marry will have to be a good dancer. Maybe I’ll take salsa lessons with him. Of course by then I might be too old for dancing, lol.)

In other news, I met a guy at the bus stop on Friday who kept telling me he “wanted to be my friend” and asking me for my number. He was a cute guy from West Africa, but I told him that I have a lot of friends. He wouldn’t take no for an answer. So I got his number and promised him I’d call. He didn’t seem too creepy except for the fact that he kept staring at my legs (which were completely covered up by jeans, so I don’t know what was going on there). I probably won’t call unless it’s to set up a meeting where I can bring one of the guys from my program who could maybe be his friend (since he said he didn’t have many). We’ll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home