My So-Called Life

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Learnin'

Being here, in this city, on this team is an interesting experience. Most of the people in the program here are “feelers” and not “thinkers.” (See Myers-Briggs.) I, however, am a thinker.

Most people in the city know how they feel about Jesus, but have not necessarily grown up with the biblical knowledge and experience I have (thank you, Church of Christ).

This makes our team bible study interesting. We’re currently studying women of the bible and have made it through Esther and Ruth so far. While it has been good for me to reread these stories and examine what I believe about them as opposed to what I have been taught, I really don’t feel I’m learning much. Especially not as much as my teammates who have never read either of these books before.

I know that one of my “gifts” is teaching, and I feel like I’m using this gift during our bible study–and during curriculum–but I would like to learn something substantial in return. I feel like I’m always teaching and rarely learning (especially as far as biblical knowledge is concerned).

Where is my mentor Jeanene when I need her? I’m not finished yet; I still need lots of her help. I need a teacher.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tarkola'an Bey said...

Ummm, well my comment on this subject is: What do you want to know? I've spent at least four solid years of my life thinking about and studying religion and philosophy. I have the collective ideas of many of them still distilled in my mind. I don't know if I could be of any help or not, especially since I'm one of the only people in Mission Year who doesn't know what they feel about Jesus. And if I don't know something, I'm more than willing to learn about it and teach others. I also feel like I have the gift of teaching, probably not as strong as yours, but it's there somewhere. During our Bible study, I also feel like I am not really learning anything I didn't already know about or think about, but my teaching moments tend to go over my teams head, so I usually keep them to myself. All of this is really to say, if there are things you want to know, than I'd be willing to take a stab at teaching you them. Tell me what you think about this.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home