My So-Called Life

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Solitary Moaning

(I think these posts are like my own little psalms; some of them are happy and full of hope and some. . .are not.)

“ ‘The only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.’ ” ~Mitch Albom, The Five People you Meet in heaven

And yet I cannot help it. I don’t believe that I have ever in my life felt so alone. And I don’t feel it in a constant, throbbing way, but it’s always there, right under the surface, easily seen and felt when something small creates a ripple.

Something small like a discussion/conflict over miniscule and unimportant things which ends up taking on grandiose proportions in this tiny apartment which I inhabit. Something small like grieving the imminent demise of a friendship I was growing to feel comfortable in as well as the death of my childhood church. Something small like my family gathering without me. Something small like knowing myself to perhaps be the only thinker unafraid to “tell the truth the way I see it” in the program here. Something small like having my freedom to chose how I unwind ripped away. Something small like spending what seems like all my time with the same people. Something small like being faced daily with things like domestic violence, drug abuse, homelessness, racism, neglected children. Something small like being so far away from my family and friends.

I cannot help but think of Oxford, of all those talks we were given about culture shock, of being told that our friends would get sick of hearing our stories about our experiences since they wouldn’t be able to picture things the way we saw them.

And so I ask those of you who love me, are you willing to walk through this valley with me? Is it even possible for you to understand what I see, hear and experience here? Is it possible for me to adequately describe it to you? And, perhaps most importantly, do you have it in you to continue to listen to my whining?

This is no easy task, no easy decision. This is my year of suffering, I’m afraid, and the next six months will be hard. But I know I can’t do it alone. So, are you for me or against me? Will you walk this valley with me? Will you stand at the top of the mountain, look down and cheer me on? Will you pray for me daily and ask God to go where you cannot? To comfort me when you cannot? I openly admit that I need all the help I can get.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The other part of asking for help is accepting it when it is given. That is not always easy to do for any of us.
Whining is the only thing I’m used to with you, so of course I can handle listen to more of it. Love you.

~Anonymous

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(This is neither previous commentors.) Perhaps you are alone, or perhaps your community transcends everything you can see right now. Grow up and move on. Quit whinning and get on with the task you have been called; your transformation into the likeness of Christ.

Embrace your suffering, it is all God has asked of you right now. Perhaps you should be grateful for that.

3:45 PM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

Well last anonymous poster, perhaps I'll assign you a name. How about Eliphaz? Or Bildad? Or Zophar or Elihu?

In case you're unaware, those were Job's friends. You know, the ones who gave him stupid reasons for his suffering until God silenced them with His great power?

God didn't give Job an answer for his suffering, but he provided a deeper knowledge of himself. And he told Job's friends that they were full of crap. As you are. Perhaps I'll pray for your soul so that you might be forgiven.

What did Jesus say to those who suffered? He said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy laden." Not, "Quit your whining, you babies." Perhaps you could take a cue from him.

Have you ever suffered? It doesn't appear that you have. Just don't go around trying to comfort anybody else, okay? 'Cause you suck at it. And your grammar sucks, too.

8:06 PM  
Blogger A. Lo said...

And when I DO need to be told to quit whining, I will be told so by someone with a face and a name who loves and respects me. Not by you, Anonymous. How can I seriously consider the opinion of one afraid to sign his/her name to his/her own opinion? And why would I?

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home